6.07.2010

Cali Week 2

My comp, Sister Kang cracks me up; every morning she yells “turtles” when we walk to our car and I figured she was just being weird or something but it turns out she was always pointing at snails and calling them turtles, so now every time I see a snail I call it a turtle. It's classic. She crashes a lot on our bikes, we bike a lot and I love it. We run every morning and I've already lost 5 pounds in the 2 weeks I've been here (that's after the 8 I put on in the MTC haha oppps!). We get fed a lot so no worries there.

Missionary work: Andrea is getting baptized this Sunday so that's my first baptism I get to be a part of in the mish! She is sooo awesome, mother of 4, they've been teaching her for a while I guess but we read 3 Nephi 11 then watched the end of the testament and we were all crying and I asked her what was stopping her from being baptized and before you know it we had a baptismal date for this Sunday. Something nearer and dearer to my heart is her mother in law Hermana Castillo hasn't come to church in 20 years and said she didn't want the missionaries to teach her etc (to my comp last transfer) and I didn't know that and Andrea and her kids live with them and we went to teach Andrea and I got talking to Hermana Castillo and totally hit it off with her and my comp was like " that is so weird, she normally hates missionaries" soooo... then she came to church the following Sunday and she came yesterday too and requested the Bishop to get her transcripts in the ward and stuff... then it gets more complicated because Andrea wasn't getting baptized because Hermana Castillo said she shouldn't but now Andrea is ok to get baptized because Castillo is now coming back to church. Hopefully that made sense. So this work is great, learning a lot. Realizing how crazy it is that we all have such different lives, my life has been so easy in comparison to a lot of the lives of people I am meeting and I wonder why. Interesting. The people are great though.


So the highlight of my week (after missionary work) is nothing short of miraculous. So there's this recent convert named Angelica, 25, super cool and has the prettiest hair ever, so she shared her secret with me, she puts birth control pills in her shampoo and apparently the hormones or something makes it shiny and strong and grow faster haha, I didn't believe her but then she gave me some on Sunday so I put them in my shampoo and I swear I will do this for the rest of my life! haha, so just a heads up- Emily you need beautiful shiny hair for your wedding, so get on it!

1 comment:

  1. Sister Kang was the Korean Sister in the Verdugo Hills ward when I was home last summer!! I totally know her! Love you Laura!

    ReplyDelete